"I cannot live without books..."
Thomas Edison

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Austenland

I can't believe I haven't told you about this book! I LOVE this book! Okay, back up. From the top. Title: Austenland Author: Shannon Hale Rating: 5 of 5 Summary: Jane is a single 30-something in search of Mr Darcy. All other men fall short. Her great-aunt Carolyn calls her on it and, upon her death, leaves Jane a vacation. A vacation to Pembrook Park, aka Austenland, where she spends three weeks living like a woman in a Jane Austen novel. Did I mention there's a ball? My thoughts: First of all I have to tell you that I love Jane Austen. I'm not one to analyze what I'm reading. I hate non-fiction and I never liked reading for school. I read to be entertained. Jane Austen is entertaining. So is Austenland. This book has a lovely balance of humor and romance. I laugh nearly the entire book. Miss Charming is my favorite. The best part about this book is that, for me, it never gets old. Ever. I've read it several times and I never get tired of it. Perhaps it's because I can relate. I can totally get inside Jane's head and see where she's coming from. Plus, I get to the end of Austenland and feel the need to read Pride and Prejudice. That's never a bad thing. From a more literary perspective, I enjoy the narrator's voice in this book. She talks like I do. Overly excited, slightly naive, and a touch sarcastic. How you can be sarcastic and naive at the same time? I don't know, but I do it. Everyday. I hope you take the time for this book. It's a good one! (Must go. The baby's crawling up the stairs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...